The Swedish Burma Committee (SBC) is an independent, non-profit association aiming to promote human rights and democracy in Burma/Myanmar, by raising awareness in Sweden and by supporting human rights and democracy activists in Burma/Myanmar.
The SBC has been implementing a donor funded civil society program since 2010. The aim of the program is to enhance the efficiency of partner organizations to promote human rights, convey demands and influence public decision making at various levels of society.
SBC is looking to expand its team with a Yangon based Program Manager, who will be responsible for ensuring effective implementation of our civil society program.
- Maintain close relations with local partner organizations and coach partner organizations in the various steps of the project cycle, when requested
- Coordinate capacity building efforts for partners in line with local needs and demands and SBCs priorities
- Conduct frequent field visits
- Identify and assess new partners and activities in cooperation with SBC colleagues
- Represent SBC in relation to our work in Burma/Myanmar
- Assist with the effective running and implementation of the Civil Society Program
- Project Cycle Management, including assessments of applications, results monitoring and follow-up, financial monitoring and auditing
- Contribute to timely reporting to donors
- Monitor and analyse the human rights situation and civil society development in Burma/Myanmar
- Contribute to the SBC communications and advocacy work as needed o Assist with the smooth running of the Yangon office
- Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university and five years relevant experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience from support to and/or work within a civil society organisation
- Strong commitment to the work of civil society
- Strong knowledge of the human rights situation in Burma/Myanmar
- Effectively work as a team member as well as independently, with a high-level of self-motivation and ability to set and meet goals
- Fluency of spoken and written English and Burmese
- Experience in project cycle management
- Pleasant, diplomatic manner and disposition in interacting with colleagues, grantees, and the general public
- Show discretion and ability to handle confidential issues
- Strong administrative skills
Other desired qualifications:
- Experience in training, capacity building or other kinds of support to CSOs o
- Experience in gender and/or non-discrimination work
Conditions of Employment:
The Programme Manager will be based in Yangon with frequent travel within Burma. One visit per year will be made to Stockholm/Sweden to meet with the SBC board and with the Stockholm based staff. We offer a competitive salary, insurance, and other benefits.
Starting date: March 2018 (to be negotiated)
Send your CV and cover letter to Liz Tydeman firstname.lastname@example.org by 12th January, 2018.